...meet Shasta, the newest addition to our family.
Shasta is a rescue dog from a Northern fly-in community. We weren't necessarily looking for another pet right now...
BUT when we happened to see the ad for her shortly after it was posted AND saw her sweet face in the pictures, it didn't take long for the possiblity of getting another pet over the next year or so to get bumped up. We went to meet her and then deliberated over Happy Meals. Our primary concern was for Bij, our 9-year old female cat. She's a beautiful cat, just not a children's cat. She comes out once the kids are in bed. The kids get REALLY excited if they happen to see her dart past them because she generally just keeps to herself in the basement on her washer/dryer-perch. Grammy said that if Bij didn't cope well with a new animal and threatened to run away, she would adopt her.
We wanted the kids to have a pet. Bij isn't really their pet, but mine & Jon's.
We could have opted for another kitten, but it's difficult to keep a cat indoors when 3 children are in and out of the house from the yard so frequently. We didn't want to have to say good-bye to another curious kitty who fell victim to a busy hill street.
And so, we adopted this adorable 10-week old puppy who will likely become a medium to large size dog. I've never had an indoor dog. Ever. I'm not even really a dog-person. But this puppy is wiggling her way into my heart.
The kids are happy. Jon's building fences, in the rain. We're learning how to house-train a puppy, in the rain. I took her to the vet today, with 3 excited-to-have-a-puppy children. We all miss Nala. Jordan still asks where she is and then in the same breath says she's "in the box". We're opening our hearts to another friend.




4 comments:
so sweet! I don't know if I would be keen on a puppy either, but hats off to you! I'm sure your kids are going to have a blast this summer with Shasta!
I knew you'd bring her home! she is adorable though.
p.s what do the boys think of her? All the pictures are with Abby so I was wondering if they were taking to their new puppy too.
The boys love her as well, but she's still a little jumpy & nippy when she gets excited, as she does when 2 little boys come running to her! So then they run away and she chases them! Then they get a little concerned :) When she is calm she licks their hands and they each say, *she LIKES me*. So, I was usually helping the boys with her which made it difficult to get pictures with them and her. Also, yesterday was so wet that I only took my camera out for a few minutes.
Post a Comment